Update: For an accurate news account of the most disasterous portion of the fire, see the Denver Post The only inaccuracy is in ignoring the Creator of the universe and instead bowing to “mother nature”.
When I got out of work today, it felt like I was in a movie. The entire sky above my head was surreal with sickly-yellow-before-black clouds. So thick you didn’t know how or where the smoke began or ended. The lot across the parking spot had earie fluorescent blue windows glowing.
The fire is scary!
I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who cried on the way home when we heard the radio say the first houses across at Flying W. had gone up.
Trying to stay updated, I gathered this set of resources. I hope this collection is useful.
Accomodation Updating with options that have available rooms
Map of shelters (note the Springs Church in the North was not available for overnight stays)
Mandatory Evacuation Map Note: official evacuation maps are on Springs Gov website below, however that site isn’t the most usable format.
- From KKTV: (obsolete 6/27) https://twitter.com/kktv11news/status/217791530839187456/photo/1
Alternative Map Views
- Gazette evacuation Map (updating): https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202018096962390235287.0004c32ef50e09e541122&msa=0&fb_source=message
- Gazette evacuation Satellite (updating): https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202018096962390235287.0004c32ef50e09e541122&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=38.894774%2C-104.946213&spn=0.173685%2C0.308647&z=12&source=embed
- Fire Boundary (with zoom): https://maps.google.com/?q=http://extras.denverpost.com/media/maps/kml/waldo-canyon-wildfire-20120627aa.kml&msa=0&t=p&output=embed&z=12
- Fire Boundary (all fires): http://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml (Select on Top Right: Jump to Wildfire (Waldo Canyon). Then Select on bottom Left: Base Data -> Street View. Zoom in on right edge – above North 30th St – to see Mt Shadows neighbourhood affected.)
Register for reverse 911 calls
Twitter (Finally, it is actually useful!)
Official City announcements
- Springs Gov: http://springsgov.com/
- El Paso County: http://www.elpasoco.com/Pages/default.aspx
- Colorado Springs Fire Department: https://twitter.com/#!/CSFDPIO
- El Paso County Sheriff: https://twitter.com/#!/EPCSheriff
Official Incident (Note: 6/26 this website was down for a while, possibly due to unexpected increased traffic. Today (6/27) it is back up.)
- KKTV Live stream: http://www.kktv.com/video/live
- KRDO Live: http://www.krdo.com/news/WATCH-LIVE-KRDO-NewsChannel-13/-/417220/14776454/-/12eydmxz/-/index.html
- KOAA live stream: http://www.koaa.com/news/live-stream-waldo-canyon-fire/
- KRDO Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/KRDONC13
- Gazette (updating status 6/27): http://www.gazette.com/articles/charred-140903-waking-city.html
- Gazette (updating status): http://www.gazette.com/articles/fire-140851-highway-waldo.html
- KDVR Blog http://kdvr.com/2012/06/26/waldo-canyon-fire-grows-thousands-remain-evacuated/
- 9news – Listing of resources http://topics.9news.com/wildfires
American Red Cross service to notify people that you have got to safety (again, stay off the cellphones…):
Search google news by date (use the press down arrow):
Search google images by time (last hour/day)
- Bottom left, click “show search tools”, then select time desired.
Nasa satellite images
- NASA slideshow: http://www.examiner.com/slideshow/nasa-and-noaa-satellites-capture-images-of-wildfires-across-the-western-united-states#slide=blank-3
Sample of images
- Denver Post: http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/06/27/colorado-wildfires-waldo-canyon-fire-colorado-springs/5732/
- Before and After: http://www.denverpost.com/wildfires/ci_20962928
Donations and help
- Help Colorado Now: http://www.helpcoloradonow.org/
- Salvation Army efforts: http://disaster.salvationarmyusa.org/media/?ID=a4b1c6a9c66321a53ff18c6177dc3201
- Salvation Army donations: http://www.imsalvationarmy.org/
- Aid from the Y: http://www.ppymca.org/CampaignProcess.aspx?A=View&VID=11204263&KID=177153
- Joy will come: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qhsbJtGM48&sns=fb
- 5 Day Timelapse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA7eHY022k&feature=youtu.be
- Raw footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZei9lJ2G1k