I was rather amused to come across the following data-classifications in one of my recent BCS magazines.
It seems to me that obsolete data can be categorised:
- Things that must be kept by law;
- Things that must be destroyed by law;
- Things that we choose to keep;
- Things that we are certain can be thrown away;
- Things that we would like to keep if we have room;
- Things that we would like to throw away, but are not sure about;
- Things that we think we have kept but cannot find;
- Things that we have kept but now cannot decipher;
- Things that we have not kept, but now wish that we had.
In particular, No. 7 is a classic ;-)…
I think the categories reflect normal life just as much as anything computer-related, but those dear electronic boxes do exasperate the problem to a higher level of headache!
*wishes she had a decent backup strategy for her laptop*
*wishes she had *any* backup strategy for her laptop*